Monday, June 13, 2005

Are you ready to defend your rights?

Rallying women to fight for their rights is no easy task. There are some women who underestimate the importance of the cause and simply mark it off as being a waste of time. There are others who are ignorant of their rights altogether and take it for granted that they can vote (for instance), should they even want to vote. Also, there are women who are still trapped in the patriarchal system because they have been taught that submitting to a man is godly and right. These are the ones who snub their noses at the very activists that helped women achieve the measure of freedoms and rights enjoyed today.

We need to get the word out. We need to let women know that they have an essential role to play in the continued development and protection of their rights. One thing is for sure, this is definitely not a one woman job. I believe it's time for us to start banding together again in one focused and concerted effort for our own rights and the rights of our daughters.

My attempts at finding a way to get involved in a feminist group or organization have been frustrating to say the least. There's not a whole lot to choose from and many of the groups that are out there are either un-organized or not active. While I'm sure thriving feminist groups do exist, I just haven't been able to locate one yet (aside from Planned Parenthood, of course).

Therefore, I thought this blog could be a great way to start bringing feminist thought and energy together in one place. My hope is to see a group of diverse women, of all ages and backgrounds, gather together for discussion, brainstorming and activism. Ladies, no one else is going to fight this battle for us. This is our fight and we have to be trained and ready to take on anything that stands between us and equality. When intelligent, strong and capable women unite in one cause, there is nothing we can't do.

Are you ready to defend your rights? Can you make a viable contribution to a blog for women? If so, welcome to Feminism Online...

6 Comments:

At June 13, 2005 12:01 PM, Blogger Stellar1 said...

Mickey,

I'm so excited that you decided to participate. I've extended invites to several other ladies as well. As time goes on, I'm sure we'll encounter more women who would make fantastic partcipants too.

Jump in any time to post comments, essays, articles, etc. It's women like us who can counter act the centuries of deceit and oppression.

To women! (cling)
Stellar

 
At June 13, 2005 1:46 PM, Blogger Stellar1 said...

Laura,

You're right, we need to speak for those who have no voice. I recently read "Reading Lolita in Tehran," and have a whole new appreciation for the Muslim woman. The women in Iran were forced to wear their coverings against their will decades ago and they continue to fight this oppression even today.

Welcome to Feminism Online. It's great to have you on board.

Stellar

 
At June 13, 2005 10:15 PM, Blogger etherealfire said...

I think this is a fantastic idea as well and would love to participate! I've never really done anything like this before but I'm very willing to be a part of this very cool idea!

 
At June 14, 2005 6:12 AM, Blogger Stellar1 said...

Etherealfire (love that name!),

I'm so excited that you have joined up! Feel free to jump in with the rest of us and share your thoughts on women, women's rights/issues, feminism, etc. Each woman who joins up signifies that much more potential. Welcome!

Stella

 
At August 22, 2007 1:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate the fact that some people can't accept or understand a Christian woman who is also a Feminist. I am one of these women and I am proud of it. Just because I believe in God doesn't mean I believe in oppression of women or that God assigned a second class role to women--as someone just said. Just because St. Paul was afraid of women (my opinion lol) doesn't mean that his opinions reflect God's opinions. Jesus NEVER assigned a second-class role to women. And so I am proud to be a Christian Feminist and I hope there are many more like me!

 
At January 24, 2008 7:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Women, your have equal rights. Spend your time fighting for rights that have been destroyed much much more like out freedom of speech. Fight against the Patriot Act. Fight to legalize cannabis.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home